We are on the search for a new church home and I tell you this is a very difficult task. We had been attending First Assembly in Tallahassee for 10 years or more and it was home. Since moving here we have visited a lot of churches and each week a I feel a little discouraged. For one it is hard to go to a church and the whole time you are there you feel you are dissecting it. I felt very good about todays church until the sermon and this pastor didn't captivate me. As much as we liked our old church one thing I looked forward to was the new start. A chance to find somewhere that had everything we were looking for. We want an active children's program or classes (we don't want Caden to have to be in a Nursery). We want a good worship experience. We want captivating, motivating, encouraging sermons. We want to fit with the makeup of people that attend and to find a good home group. Most of the churches here are satellite churches which is fine but different. Of course my favorite one so far is Cumberland Church, however it is at least a 30 minute drive with minimal traffic. Neither of us really wanted that when we would pass probably 50 or more churches on our way.
I know we have to give places more than one visit....and we will. It is just such a tiring task. Sometimes I wonder if we are too picky. I wonder if anyone who has had to search for a new church home goes through this. I just know I need it and desire it. I want to fit wherever we go and not have to try and be a certain way to fit. I have been in that position before and didn't like it. It takes a lot of courage to step out there. It is one thing to walk in and visit and speak to people but then there comes the time where we do have to try the home groups and that really scares me. So as much as I want to find that new place I don't want to have to deal with the uncomfortable phase. I guess no one ever told me it would be easy.
Thanks for listening and please pray that we will find the place God has for us!
1 comment:
Finding a good church is SO tough. We loved our church here in ATL so of course our church in Palo Alto left a lot to be desired. Over those two years we pretty much sucked it up when it came to the worship and some of the preaching - there were 2 that were good, the others were not - and even the childcare. But, at the end of our time there, what made the church work for us and a place we wanted to be was that we had a community of our friends from school that went there with us and that made the experience as whole much more meaningful. Not perfect, but it's amazing what you can "live with" when one or two areas are spot on. I will hope for that for you as you're trying to find your place there.
Post a Comment