Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Welcoming

I am very thankful for a few ladies I met this summer at the park. I spent many days at the park after moving here. I had conversation after conversation with other moms. I would talk about just moving and our kids would play. It typically ended there. One outing I ended up talking to some moms that were there with a playgroup. They took my name and e-mail and actually followed up with me by inviting me to their next playgroup. Three of the girls are sister in laws and they all have kids around the same ages as mine. I knew that in order for me to find a place here I would need to step out and accept their invite. I am so thankful for these three ladies and them reaching out.

Another new friend whose Blog I follow had a post that I am going to quote some from. She talks about being a "gatekeeper"...."the concept of gatekeeper is to be the one when someone new comes into a group and be the one to meet them at the gate. Let them in. Take them under your wing and introduce them around....make room on your 'friend plate' for someone new". These girls have totally done that and it has touched me so much. They invited us to a family function at Christmas and again for Easter Sunday. They have taken it that next step and welcomed not just me but my family into their life. I will never forget the "Birthday party for Jesus" or this first Easter away from home.

I really hope that I haven't missed opportunities to reach out to someone else. I have always tried to take a meal or cookies to someone who moves in or who is in need. This has opened my eyes though and has made me so much more aware. It has been hard breaking through here. People are friendly but not many take that extra step to let you in. I know how much it would mean to me so I hope I can be that gatekeeper when the opportunity arises.

4 comments:

LWB said...

This is great and so true. How often are people nice, but don't bring you in? So glad you had some people do that for you. It's been the same here - people are super nice, but have their own lives already; I understand, but it's still frustrating at times. Thankfully, my next door neighbor has been great about keeping us in the loop.

I'm sure you are just the friendly face people like to see when they are new or in need. :)

Katheryn said...

It really is so hard when you go to a new place. When I first moved to Jacksonville it seemed that everyone kind of already had their circle of friends. It took me a while to find people that welcomed me the way your new friends have. I am really happy for you and I am sure you will be terrific at welcoming other new people too!

Lea Whittaker said...

Thanks guys....it is frustrating at times. I totally understand that people already have their networks and lives. I am so greatful for those that have reached out to us. I know it takes time to develop deeper relationships and I keep reminding myself of that.

crispy said...

I am so glad that you feel like you are connecting a little bit. It takes time and effort to make friends. God provides the gatekeepers and He will also allow you to be one some day for someone new.

Followers